Sunday 22 July 2012

Book Review: Learning to Breath by Andy Cave

This is the first book review I've done on my blog, a few more may follow. But this particular book for me has a relevance to my past in a small way. I wanted a book to take to the Lake district on holiday, to fill the downtimes on camp. This book had come up on Amazon as a recommendation when I purchased 'Touching the Void' by Joe Simpson (another good read). To be honest, I didn't really know who Andy Cave was, I haven't had much connection to climbing since I was a teenager (a long time ago). But a had a punt and took the book on holiday with me.



I couldn't put the book down. Like myself, Andy is from Barnsley, and it was uncanny to read his life story. The realisation that I delivered milk down his street with my uncle around the time he was getting into climbing allowed me to visualise the scenes in his book. Andy's writing style is superb. The story of his life is colourful and yet down to earth. As an inspiration, I think this book offers a great deal. How a lad from the coal pits of Barnsley can become a highly skilled rock climber and have adventures many of us dream of.

So if you are looking for some inspiration, or just want a good read, I would highly recommend the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment