Thursday 8 May 2014

A Neon Fly and a Magnum

Okay, maybe not a walking subject, but it was a brilliant start to my holiday. I've been listening to Magnum since my late teens, around 25 years. For quite a long time I've planned to go and see them at the Holmfirth Picturedrome for about 5 years. Unfortunately a little car accident got in the way. Finally, last week I went to see them.




The Holmfirth Picturedrome is well known for putting on some big names that you just wouldn't expect at such a small venue. The place is pretty small by the standards of larger, more popular venues. It is very up close and personal. And to be honest, that's what makes it such a good venue. It was my first time and enjoyed it.


Before Magnum, I want to mention their support band, Neon Fly. They were really very good. They aren't like Magnum, they have a different style completely. Heavier, with a unique sound that really grew on me. To the point that I bought their current album 'Outshine The Sun' and rocked my way around the Lake District for a few days this week. I'm looking forward to their coming new album.

http://www.neonfly.net/

Magnum were absolutely fantastic. They have a really sharp sound live to the point where I actually prefer a lot of the songs I heard live over the studio version. 

Bob Catley has to be one of the most expressive singers out there. You can see he is really into their songs. Tony Clarkin on guitar is really sharp. The whole sound was just spot on. A brilliant night, a great way to start a holiday. And it's only really taken me 25 years to get round to it.

http://www.magnumonline.co.uk/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment